OpenWest 2018 - This is what winning looks like
- Publication date
"Software is eating the world…" –Marc Andreesen
"…and open source is eating software." –seemingly every tech journalist in the past 5 years
Tech journalists and others are crying it from the rooftops: "Open source has won." Linux is found in everything. Companies look first to open source options when selecting new technologies. Microsoft ❤️ Linux. It certainly seems as though open source has, as they say, won.
But what does FLOSS look like going forward?
It means we're seeing a dramatic increate in corporate awareness of and involvement in open source communities. They're sponsoring projects, conferences, foundations, and developers. They're open sourcing internal projects at an increasing rate.
In general these are great developments, but even those corporations setting sail are doing so into uncharted waters. They don't speak the language. They don't understand the culture. They mistake community for a market. Often, they flounder before they can reap the benefits of participating in FLOSS.
If we want to continue to grow the influence and reach of FLOSS, we must learn to lead this new corporate community.
In this talk I will discuss some of the problems faced by untrained but (usually) well-intentioned companies entering FLOSS communities and what we, as community leaders, can do to become the rising tide which floats all boats.
- Love. Elevationman on Flickr; CC BY
- Linux. doctorserone on Flickr; CC BY
- Internet Archive Logo. Wikimedia Commons. Public Domain
- Perl. Perl Foundation
- O'Reilly. Wikimedia Commons. Fair use.
- Hug. plumnutz on Flickr; CC BY-NC
- 4 Freedoms. GNU Foundation; screenshot by author
- Open Source Definition. Open Source Initiative; screenshot by the author
- Sharing. cogdogblog on Flickr; CC BY
- GovHack. GovHack; screenshot by the author
- Sunlight Foundation. Sunlight Foundation; screenshot by the author
- MS ♥ Linux. Microsoft Technet. Fair use.
- Corporate contributors. Githut Octoverse. Fair use.
- Open Source Initiative Sponsors; screenshot by the author
- Netflix Simian Army. Chaos Monkey on Wikipedia; Apache v2.0
- Thumbs up. RHiNO NEAL on Flickr; CC BY-NC-ND
- Will Work For FLOSS. Quabluna on Flikr; CC BY-NC-ND
- 2018-06-05 00:00:41
- ABBYY FineReader 11.0 (Extended OCR)
- VM Brasseur
ABBYY GZ Uplevel BACK
FULL TEXT Uplevel BACK
H.264 Uplevel BACK
OGG VIDEO Uplevel BACK
PDF Uplevel BACK
QUICKTIME Uplevel BACK
SINGLE PAGE PROCESSED JP2 ZIP Uplevel BACK
Uploaded by VMBrasseur on